Confront the latest medical coding challenge ICD-10-CM coming on October 1, 2014.
What is ICD-10-CM?
ICD-10-CM also known as “InternationalClassification of Diseases” is generally a set of codes largely utilized mainly by the physicians, hospitals, Medical Transcription Companies and health care experts or specialists in order to perform an analysis on patients every visit. The ICD-10-CM system of coding contains approximately68,000 codes and these codes become essential when claiming for any type of health insurance in the U.S.
If we compare ICD-9-CM, we find very few alterations are done with ICD-10-CM Draft code set for 2013 which will be in effect from 1st October 2014. It was decided to make a few changes in the 2013 ICD-10-CM Draft code, by accumulating a couple of terms and rectifying typos in the Alphabetic directory.
Let’s check out the probable advantages of implementing the latest ICD-10 medical coding system:
- Applicationof this code gives expansion of injury
- Datais collected based on site rather than type of injury
- Mixtureof diagnosis codes
- Calculationof sixth character using some codes extended out o the seventh character
- AddingV and E codes into the main classification
The alterations done by medicaltranscription companies signify huge development over ICD-9-CM and ICD-10.
Some specific improvements done aregiven below:
- Prolongedinjury codes due to adding up of data pertinent to ambulatory and managed careencounters
- Byimplementing a new concept of combination diagnosis/symptom codes, the numberof codes actually needed to explain a condition lessens.
- Accordingto the news, HHS on January 16, 2009, issued a final rule wherein it hasaccepted ICD-10-CM (and ICD-10-PCS) to replace ICD-9-CM in HIPAA transactions.
Impact On Your Medical Coding Employees
This latest system of ICD-10-CM medical coding will bring tremendous level of progress for all the medical transcription companies andU.S. health care system. The present system of ICD-9-CM is outdated for new codes and limits the coding process. As medical transcription person, you require, to familiarize yourself with the latest system and get the significant training for the same to ensure a smooth transition.
If you are a medical coder or any professional pertaining to medical services company then it is mandatory for you to get a comprehensive synopsis about the essential changes in store for both diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Apart from this, you will be required to get information at length on the impacts of the coding changes. The reason behind following this procedure is because October 1st, 2013 is the last date for compliance. All medical service providers such as Medical Transcription Service Providers be it doctors or any other personal offering his medical transcription services, it will become necessary for them to get acquainted with the new system.
- You will need to register yourself in an ICD-10-CM medical coding course in order to study the new medical coding system, containing approximately 55,000 more codes. This is not it, a lot more is yet to follow thus, please keep updated with the latest and upcoming modifications.
Even supposing changes done may be little to ICD-10-CM Draft system of coding for the next couple of years, we suggest you as a medical coder to study the guidelines carefully and yearly. Aside from this, you can expect supplementary guidelines and reporting coming up as we have additional coders training under ICD-10-CM.
Mediscribes, Inc. is one of the fastest growing Medical Transcription & document management systems providers in United States, based in Metro Louisville. Mediscribes is an ISO9000-2001 certified company, rendering cost-effective consolidated transcription solutions to major hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities in the United States. Mediscribes is the most value-providing organization in the market today with a strong presence in America and offshore locations. The firm specializes in providing highly accurate transcription adhering to ADHI guidelines in unbeatable turnaround time with robust & proven document management system as its vantage point to its esteemed clientele.
Mediscribes provides end-to-end transcription solutions as its primary offering. For our customers, we focus on dictation systems, both ASP as well as enterprise level solutions, with the help of our most valued asset ezVoiceIntelligence (ezVI), providing specialty-specific qualitative transcription along with a “whole nine yards” document management system. Mediscribes specializes in EMR data integration as well. Our data dispatch department is highly proficient in integrating transcribed reports into any type of EMR. Healthcare facilities that do not have EMR get the option to use our web-based file monitoring interface called eTranscribe for global access to their data. eTranscribe has special features of E-signing, E-faxing,auto-printing, and user-friendly document search criteria.